Sunday 11 March 2012

UK2.net they never want you to leave!

Domain hosting seems sometimes to be the bain of my life, I always seem to pick companies who are not so hot on their customer service. Cue uk2.net.


I have registered 2 domains with them, but just today I needed to amend my dns. But alas I had not purchased the dns management @ £20.39 (add the domain hosting and this is almost £30 per year for one domain!):




Having had access to amend the dns record included in the cost of the domain previously, I was obviously a bit aggrieved to say the least. So I began looking around for some where to transfer my domain to, I found a place and started the transfer out, which I can only compare to like sitting down to watch all the lord of the rings movies back to back, talk about a saga. (I do like Lord of the Rings, by the way), I have included the instructions below.




and then on top of doing all this you have to pay if you have had the domain with them for less than 2 years.


Now to be fair, I was able to chat with someone online, and that was ok and I was able to ask them to check to see if I has completed everything needed.


I can't say I have had a problem with my time at uk2.net because there haven't been any issues until I wanted to leave, but I feel ripped off price wise when comparing to other domain hosts and extorted. I wouldn't have minded too much paying to transfer the domain out, but the fact that I am basically doing all the admin work on my own account is insane, these guys run a tech company and they can't have a system that could handle this. My guess is, they think the harder they make it the more people it is likely to put off.


I wrote this mainly to vent my anger at a waste of a saturday morning, when I should be spending it with my wife and to show other people who are less technical that this is wrong and not all companies are like this, uk2.net are cheap but if you are leaving before 2 years or want full control of your dns records look elsewhere.


Edit:


The news I was waiting for:

No comments:

Post a Comment